National Spelling Bee 2020
We are pleased to inform you that the Spelling Bee registrations will be extended until the last day of January.
In order to expand its outreach to classroom students learning English as a foreign language (the ultimate beneficiaries of MEXTESOL’s mission), MEXTESOL organizes an annual national Spelling Bee, in conjunction with Merriam-Webster.
The MEXTESOL National Spelling Bee promotes spelling and vocabulary study for learners studying English as a Foreign Language (EFL) in primary and secondary schools in Mexico.
There will be two separate spelling bees on the same day: one for primary children (5th and 6th grades) and one for secondary school students (first and second year). There will be a maximum of 50 students in each contest.
The MEXTESOL National Spelling Bee 2020 will take place on Saturday, April 25, 2020 in Teatro de la Universidad de Ciencias y Artes de Chiapas (UNICACH, Address: Libramiento norte poniente no. 1150, Colonia. Potinaspak, Codigo Postal 29018, Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas
MEXTESOL National Spelling Bee 2020 Timeline:
- November 16, 2019. School applications for both contests will begin to be received. If you do not receive an email confirming the reception of the application, please resend the application until you receive confirmation.
- December 31, 2019. The status of school applications up to this date will be sent to the individual schools.
- January 17, 2020. Deadline for receiving school application forms. (However, it is recommended that interested schools submit their applications as soon as possible).
- January 31, 2019. Participating schools will be informed of the maximum number of participants each school may send to the Spelling Bee in Mexico City.
- March 13, 2020. Deadline for receiving the original completed student applications from eligible schools and the original school application form.
- March 20, 2020. The final list of participating schools and students is drawn up.
- March 29, 2020. Deadline for receiving each participating school’s list of guests attending the Spelling Bee in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas
- April 25, 2020. The MEXTESOL National Spelling Bee will be held in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas