National Spelling Bee 2018
In order to expand its outreach to classroom students learning English as a foreign language (the ultimate beneficiaries of MEXTESOL’s mission), MEXTESOL organizes an annual national Spelling Bee, in conjunction with Merriam-Webster.
The MEXTESOL National Spelling Bee promotes spelling and vocabulary study for learners studying English as a Foreign Language (EFL) in primary and secondary schools in Mexico.
There will be two separate spelling bees on the same day: one for primary children (5th and 6th grades) and one for secondary school students (first and second year). There will be a maximum of 50 students in each contest.
Last April 21 we could witness what is, without a doubt, the best National Spelling Bee Contest in years. There was a myriad of emotions, from nervousness to absolute joy. It was truly a wonderful experience for all those involved, the participants, their parents and teachers and the people of MEXTESOL and MERRIAM-WEBSTER.
The complete success of this year’s competition was possible with the participation of elementary and junior high students, whose courage and superb skills are to be recognized. I wish to thank them for their effort and eagerness.
In the same token, I would like to thank the participants’ parents for all their dedication. It was comforting to observe how the participants felt much more confident knowing their parents were there supporting them. Teachers played an important role in all the process, which began at their corresponding institutions with local contests, preparation and training. I wish to thank parents and teachers for all their support and participation to make of this the best contest ever.
Naturally, I wish to thank Merriam-Webster, whose contribution to the contest was decisive. Peter Sokolowsky did a superb job as a pronouncer. Federico Káiser was supportive at all times. Merriam-Webster provided presents, visual dictionaries, tablets, medals and trophies. All the Bee Staff, Master of Ceremonies, Judges and assistants were key elements to the success of this marvelous contest. I really appreciate it, Merriam-Webster and Bee Staff.
Mextesol proudly congratulates all participants and especially the winners in the elementary competition
1st place. Gabriel Emiliano Guerrero Egurrola. Colegio Muñoz S.C.
2nd place. Monserrat Guerrero Salinas. Colegio Muñoz S.C.
3rd place. Jose Santiago Rodarte. Colegio Muñoz S.C.
As well as participants and winners in the junior high competition.
1st place. Alejandro Orozco Arciniega. Colegio Guadalupe plantel Tulpetlac.
2nd place. Pedro Emiliano Tello Sosa. Colegio Ignacio Zaragoza A.C.
3rd place. Dulce Nagely Martínez Alonso. Escuela Secundaria General Melchor Ocampo
Finally, I would like to invite all elementary school and junior high teachers and coordinators to join us for the next Mextesol – Merriam-Webster 5th National Spelling Bee Competition 2019, which will definitely be even better. It will take place at a large school in Mexico City. Enroll and be part of this amazing event.
Annual MEXTESOL National Spelling Bee Timeline:
(Place: Teatro Silvia Pinal second floor. Versalles 27, behind Fiesta Americana Hotel. April 21st. 2018 )
- October/November. MEXTESOL International Convention. Information about the following year’s Spellng Bee is announced.
- One week after the Convention: The information and documents are posted on the MEXTESOL website for the following year.
- November 15. School applications for both contests will begin to be received. If you do not receive an email confirming the reception of the application, please resend the application until you receive confirmation.
- December 15. The status of school applications up to this date will be sent to the individual schools.
- January 15. Deadline for receiving school application forms. (However, it is recommended that interested schools submit their applications as soon as possible).
- January 17. Participating schools will be informed of the maximum number of participants each school may send to the Spelling Bee in Mexico City.
- March 1. Deadline for receiving the original completed student applications from eligible schools and the original school application form.
- March 15. The final list of participating schools and students is drawn up.
- One week before the Spelling Bee. Deadline for receiving each participating school’s list of guests attending the Spelling Bee in Mexico City. (Two guests per participant.)
- A Saturday in April. The MEXTESOL National Spelling Bee will be held in Mexico City.